L'Hôtel du Guénégaud

The theatre called the Hôtel du Guénégaud was originally, like the Théâtre du Marais, a converted tennis court. After the death of Molière in 1673, Lully succeeded in getting the remaining actors of his troupe evicted from the Palais Royal theatre, and Molière's troupe moved to the Hôtel du Guénégaud. It was originally intended as a space for opera, and so it was presumably luxuriously equipped, although pictorial evidence about its interior design is scarce. It is possible, however, to attempt a rough reconstruction of the theatre from the evidence of surviving account books. This first major theatre space on the left bank of the Seine proved quite successful between 1673 and 1680, when with the dissolution of the troupe at the Hôtel de Bourgogne it became the first site of the Comédie Française.

See the Model* Suggested Reading

 

 

*Model by Christa Williford, after research by Jan Clarke.