Also known as the Théâtre Français, this theatre was built to house the
Comédie Française in 1689, replacing the Hôtel du Guénégaud. Once again,
the building was a converted tennis court
one remodeled to house a horseshoe-shaped auditorium designed by d'Orbay.
This continued to be the site of the performances of the Comédie Française
for the rest of the seventeenth, and for much of the eighteenth, centuries.
The model featured here is built from later drawings which appear in Jacques-François
Blondel's Architecture Françoise
, which was first published in 1752.